An RV is a house on wheels, and it needs to be insured like one.

RV insurance blends home and auto insurance coverage into a single form of coverage, protecting the RV against collision with other vehicles or objects, weather damage, vandalism, theft and more to the RV and personal items inside. It also offers liability protection.

RV insurance is usually purchased as an add-on to an existing auto insurance policy or as a separate policy from an RV insurance company.

Why Do I Need RV Insurance?

Traditional auto insurance isnt adequate for most RV owners. RV insurance provides coverage where auto insurance falls short. For instance, if a guest slips and suffers an injury in your RV, auto insurance wont cover any medical or legal expenses, but RV insurance will.

Additionally, not many vehicles have built-in entertainment centers, satellite dishes and awnings, but RVs do. And without an RV insurance policy, these valuables probably wont be covered against collision, fire, weather damage, theft or other perils.

RV Insurance Coverage Options

A standard RV insurance policy may include the following coverage options:

  1. Permanently attached items coverage Items permanently attached to the RV are covered, including tow kits, wheelchair lifts, satellite dishes, etc.
  2. RV replacement cost coverage If your RV is totaled or stolen and not recovered, you will be reimbursed with a new, comparably-equipped RV.
  3. Personal items coverage Many insurers offer $3,000 or more for personal items damaged, lost or stolen by a covered event, usually at no additional charge.

Full-timers vs. Part-timers

The level of RV insurance you need depends on how often you drive your RV:

Part-timers who use their RV seasonally can save money by suspending collision and liability coverage when the RV is not in use.

Full-timers who live in their RV or claim it as a primary residence will need full-timers coverage, which includes protection against injuries in and around the RV, personal liability coverage, personal items coverage and more.

Whether your RV is a Class A, Class C, Fifth Wheel, Travel Trailer or Camper Shell, ArcLight Insurance can offer you the right coverage.

Owners: To protect both your house and personal property.

Tenants: To protect your personal property.

Everyone: Protection against liability for accidents that injure other people or damage their property.

How much home insurance do I need?

Asset protection: More coverage generally means you will have less to pay out of your own pocket if disaster strikes. You must determine the amount you can financially afford to lose. Depending upon your determination, more insurance may be the answer. You need enough liability coverage to protect yourself from lawsuits resulting from your possible negligence.

Lender requirements: Your lender may require you to cover the house for at least the amount of the mortgage. You are not required to purchase insurance from the insurer recommended by your lender.

Policy requirements: Insurers may impose some conditions for replacement cost protection, including insurance of the property to value.

What affects home insurance prices?

Type of construction: Frame houses usually cost more to insure than brick.

Age of house: New homes may qualify for discounts. Some insurance companies offer limited coverage or may not insure older homes.

Local fire protection: The number of fire hydrants and fire departments and the availability of water are some factors that determine your area’s fire protection class. If you reside in an area without fire protection, you will pay more for fire insurance.

What’s a peril?

A peril is a condition that can cause a loss. Three examples are fire, windstorm and theft.

What deductible should I choose?

The deductible applies only to the coverages on your house and personal property. It is the amount you have to pay out of your pocket on each claim. You can collect on your insurance policy once the deductible amount is exceeded. A policy with a $100 deductible will cost more than one with a $250 deductible. Higher deductibles also will result generally in fewer claims, at a time when insurers are nonrenewing if the number of claims is considered “excessive.”

What basic coverages are available?

The most common basic coverages are: property damage, additional living expenses, personal liability and medical payments.

What does property damage cover?

Property damage coverage helps repair your home and personal property when damaged by such perils as fire, lightning, windstorm or hail. The perils of flood and earthquake are covered when the coverage is added to your policy. If you believe you need flood insurance and your insurance company will not provide it, you may obtain coverage through the federal government’s National Flood Program (NFP). To learn more about NFP, you can contact an insurance agent or contact NFP at 800-638-6620. You should carefully read your policy before you have a loss to determine exactly what types of losses will be covered.

What does personal property insurance coverage include?

In general, the contents of your home and other personal belongings owned by you or family members who live with you are covered under the policy equal to 50 percent of the value carried on your dwelling. However, high-valued personal property such as jewelry and cameras should be listed on the policy so that you are adequately protected.

What does additional living expense or loss of use cover?

Most home insurance policies cover extra costs you incur if your home is damaged by an insured peril and you cannot live there while repairs are made or if you are denied access to your home by government order. The coverage is generally subject to duration limits and commonly covers any expense incurred by you so that your household can maintain its normal standard of living. In some instances, this coverage may include the costs of a motel, eating in a restaurant or storing some property.

What is personal liability insurance coverage?

Personal liability coverage protects you and all family members who live with you against a claim or lawsuit resulting from (non-auto and non-business) bodily injury or property damage to others for which you become legally obligated to pay. Defense costs are included, but the insurance company has no duty to defend you after the limit of liability on the policy has been exhausted.

What does medical payments insurance cover?

Regardless of fault, this coverage pays the reasonable expenses for others accidentally injured on your premises or the areas immediately adjoining your property such as sidewalks or alleys. Medical payments coverage does not apply to your own injuries or those of family members living with you or injuries arising out of activities involving a business that you operate out of your home, your intentional acts or rental use of your premises.

What is replacement cost?

Replacement cost is the amount necessary to replace or rebuild your home or repair damages with materials of similar kind and quality without deducting for depreciation.

What is actual cash value?

Actual cash value usually means amount needed at the time of the loss to repair or replace the property destroyed, less depreciation. Most standard home insurance policies cover the contents of your home (i.e., personal belongings) on an actual cash value basis, but it is possible to buy replacement cost coverage.

I have replacement coverage for contents under a homeowner’s policy. Some of my property has been stolen. Can the company settle for an amount less than replacement?

The company will usually pay the actual cash value, which is the replacement cost minus depreciation, for the loss or damage – until the property is replaced. Once the insured replaces the damaged property and provides receipts to the company, the company should reimburse the difference.

I have had homeowner’s insurance with the same company for years. I had two claims last year, and now the company will not renew my policy. Can they do this?

Yes. Each company has its own underwriting guidelines, which indicate what risks they will assume. State law permits an insurer to nonrenew a homeowner’s policy on the policy anniversary date as long as they give the insured 30 days advance written notice and the specific reasons for the nonrenewal.

What protection does the personal liability coverage in my homeowner’s insurance policy provide?

This coverage protects you and all family members living with you against claims or lawsuits resulting from bodily injury or property damage to others for which you are negligent and legally liable, with exceptions such as intentional acts.

Does my homeowner insurance policy cover flood damage?

Generally, homeowners insurance policies do not offer protection against flood losses. You should check your policy under Section I – Exclusions. It would probably be listed under “water damage.”

Flood insurance is available through the federal government’s National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). ArcLight Insurance is here to answer your questions about flood coverage. Let us know if you’re interested in getting flood coverage for your home.

Many car insurance policies offer coverage that you may not know about. There are also things that are not covered by standard insurance policies. It is important that you understand what your coverage options are before you are involved in an accident and need to file a claim. The following five facts are not widely known by most individuals who purchase auto insurance.

1. Your Car is Covered, but Your Belongings Are Not

Did you know that all the personal possessions you carry in your vehicle are not covered under your car insurance policy? That’s right, even the most comprehensive car insurance policy will not reimburse you for items that are stolen or damaged while in your car. You will be compensated for any damage that is done to your vehicle, but your possessions are not considered part of the vehicle’s value. The best idea is to refrain from carrying extremely valuable items with you when you are driving.

However, if you are like most people in today’s age, your cell phone, laptop, and GPS unit are considered essentials. The trauma of losing these items is bad enough. In today’s economy, chances are the average person does not have the money on hand to run out and purchase new ones. Therefore, it is important to make sure you have your items insured. In order to insure the items you carry with you, it is necessary to purchase a rider on your home insurance policy. Always keep receipts and make sure you have photos or video of your items to prove their condition before they were damaged or stolen.

2. You May be Eligible for a Diminished Value Claim

When you purchase a vehicle today, it has become standard to receive a car history report. That’s great for the buyer, but not so great for the seller if your vehicle was in an accident and you never received compensation for the diminished value of your vehicle. When you go to trade your vehicle in you will not receive as much for it. Even if your car was repaired by a good quality auto body shop, the resale value will be reduced simply because it was in a collision. Most buyers will not purchase a vehicle that has been in an accident unless they receive a discounted price. Your insurance company must reimburse you for your damages. They will not automatically send you a check for your diminished value. You must file this claim in addition to your regular claim and prove your vehicle has received a loss in value due to the accident.


This is a lot easier to do on a newer car but not impossible to do on an older car. Diminished value claims are generally offered to the person who received damage from the insurance company of the person who is found at fault in the accident. Insurance companies rarely offer diminished value payments when they are reimbursing the primary driver insured on the policy.

3. Coverage for Your Pet’s Injuries

Everyone understands that their car insurance covers medical bills for the driver and passengers involved in a car accident. If you are driving with a pet in the car, you should check with your insurance company about whether or not your pet’s injuries are covered, too. Some insurance companies will pay up to $1,000 for veterinarian bills for you injured pet or the pet of a family member that lives with you. The coverage is not available in all states or through all insurance companies so make sure to perform a thorough auto ance comparison up front if you have family pets. If you travel with your pets often, it is a good idea to find out if your policy will provide reimbursement for an animal’s injuries.

4. Save Money by Paying a Lump Sum

Most insurance companies offer discounts to customers who are willing to pay for their policies in one or two lump sums over a year. Spreading your payments out month to month may seem less expensive than spending hundreds of dollars once a year, but the policy price is generally higher when it is spread out over twelve months. Even paying for your policy every six months is less expensive than paying for it every single month. Talk to your agent about the fees that are attached with a monthly payment so that you will be aware of the savings involved in paying annually or semi-annually.

5. Taxes and Fees Covered by Your Car Insurance

The tax and registration fees on your vehicle may be covered by your insurance company if your vehicle is declared a total loss. In some states, the car insurance company must pay for the taxes and fees up front and in other states, the insurance company provides reimbursement after the settlement. Some states only require the insurance company to reimburse you for the tax and registration if a new vehicle is purchased within a specific amount of time after an accident. If you are being reimbursed by the other party’s insurance company, they might not be required to pay you for the cost of tax and registration.

The bottom line is that you should read your car insurance policy thoroughly so that you are aware of the things that are covered and the things that are not. Many minor details can make a huge difference when you need to file a claim after a collision. For example, if you loan your car to a friend and he or she is involved in an accident, your car insurance will pay for the damages regardless of your friend’s insurance situation. Little things like that can increase your insurance costs, which means you should be aware of them when you purchase a new policy.


Q. Do I need to have workers’ compensation insurance?

A. Yes, California law requires employers to have workers’ compensation insurance if they have even one employee. If you are a roofer and don’t have any employees, you are still required to carry workers’ compensation insurance.

Out-of-state employers may need workers’ compensation coverage if an employee is regularly employed in California or a contract of employment is entered into here.

Q. My spouse and I are the sole owners of our business. We have no employees. Are we required to obtain workers’ compensation coverage?

A. Generally, coverage for sole owners is optional. You would, however, need to have workers’ compensation coverage for any employee you may hire, even if it’s just one employee, and even if it’s just temporary employment. You should consult with your attorney, insurance agent or broker, or carrier regarding the specifics of your situation and your options.

Q. Are executive officers or directors of the company covered under its workers’ compensation policy?

A. Generally, all employees of the company, as legally defined, including corporate officers and directors, must be included in the policy unless they are the sole owners of the firm. In the case of sole owners, they may elect not to be covered. Several sections of the California Labor Code must be considered to answer this question. You should consult with your attorney, insurance agent or broker, or your carrier regarding the specifics of your situation.

Q: How can I find out who provides workers’ compensation coverage for another business in California?

A: In California all employers are required to either purchase a workers’ compensation insurance policy from a licensed insurer authorized to write policies in California or become self insured. The Division of Workers’ Compensation (DWC) does not provide workers’ compensation insurance for employers and does not maintain information about employers and their respective insurers. To find out which insurer provides workers’ compensation insurance for a specific employer, contact the Workers’ Compensation Insurance Rating Bureau (WCIRB). The roster of self-insured employers can be found on the Self Insurance Plans Web page.

Basic facts for employers in CA on workers’ compensation can be found in the DWC’s fact sheet for employers.

Q. Where do I get workers’ compensation insurance?

A. ArcLight Insurance can help any business secure workers’ compensation insurance.

Q. How much does workers’ compensation insurance cost?

A. Workers’ compensation insurance premium rates are not regulated by the state. While the Workers’ Compensation Insurance Rating Bureau – the licensed statistical agent for the state insurance commissioner – issues recommended rates and carriers must file their rates with the California Department of Insurance, rates can vary from carrier to carrier. Like any good consumer, you should shop around for a carrier that best meets your needs. Cost is one consideration, but there are other factors to look at: services provided, ease of access to the claims adjusters, their familiarity with your industry, the doctors in their network, etc. If you have a broker or agent, he or she should be able to give you expert guidance.

Q. What determines how much I’ll pay for my premiums?

A. A number of factors go into determining the annual premium your insurance carrier will charge. These include your industry classification, your company’s past history of work-related injuries (known as your experience modification), your payroll, any special underwriting adjustments such as use of a certified health care organization, and any special group or dividend programs you may be eligible for.

About my employees:

Q. Can my employees help pay for my workers’ compensation insurance?

A. No. Workers’ compensation insurance is part of your cost of doing business. An employer cannot ask employees to help pay the insurance premium.

Q. What are my posting requirements?

A. You must post the “notice to employees” poster in a conspicuous place at the work site. This poster provides employees with information on your workers’ compensation coverage and where to get medical care for work injuries. Specific requirements are contained in sections 3550-3553 of the California Labor Code. Failure to post this notice is a misdemeanor that can result in a civil penalty of up to $7,000 per violation. Contact your insurer to get the posting notice and the required information that must be included on it.

You must also provide newly hired employees with a workers’ compensation pamphlet explaining their rights and responsibilities.

Q. Where do I get the claim forms I need to give my employees if they get sick or hurt because of work?

A. Your workers’ compensation claims administrator – generally your insurance carrier or third party administrator if you are self insured and have one – provides the claim form in the quantities you need. You can also download it from the forms page of the DWC website.

Q. What should I do if my employee gets sick or hurt on the job?

A. You must:

Provide a workers’ compensation claim for to them within one working day after the work-related injury or illness is reported.

Return a copy of the completed form to the employee within one working day of receipt

Forward the claim form, along with your report of occupational injury or illness, to the claims administrator within one working day of receipt;

Within one working day of receiving the employee’s claim, authorize up to $10,000 in appropriate medical treatment

Provide transitional work (light duty) whenever appropriate

If the employee is the victim of a crime that happened at work, you must give notice of workers’ compensation eligibility within one working day of the crime

Q. How do I make sure my employees are taken care of properly if they get sick or hurt on the job?

A. Stay involved and maintain an open dialogue with your injured employee — don’t assume your claims administrator is taking care of everything. If there is a problem, try to work it out as quickly as possible and be willing to make adjustments to the workplace to bring your employee back to the job. Talk to your local information and assistance officer to learn more about return to work programs.

Your employee can find out how to navigate the workers’ compensation system and keep their own claim on track by attending a seminar for injured workers at a local DWC office.

Q. Can my injured employee work while he is recovering?

A. Soon after the injury, the employee’s treating doctor will examine him and send a report to the claims administrator regarding the injured employee’s medical condition. If the treating doctor says the injured employee is able to work, the doctor should describe:

Clear and specific limits, if any, on the employee’s job tasks while recovering. These are called work restrictions. They are intended to protect your employee from further injury (example: no work that requires repetitive bending or stooping)

Changes needed, if any, in the employee’s schedule, assignments, equipment or other working conditions while recovering (example: provide headset to avoid awkward positions of the head and neck)

If the treating doctor reports that the employee cannot work at all while recovering, the employee cannot be required to work.

Q. My employee has work restrictions. What does that mean?

A. If the employee’s treating doctor reports that he or she can return to work under specific work restrictions, any work you assign to the employee must meet these restrictions. Your might, for example, change certain tasks or provide helpful equipment. If you do not have work available that meets these restrictions, the injured employee cannot be required to work.

Q. What if my employee has no work restrictions?

A. If the employee’s treating doctor reports that he or she can return to work without restrictions, your usually must give your employee the same job and pay they had before they were injured. You can require the injured employee to take the job. This could happen soon after the injury, or it could happen much later, after his or her condition has improved.

Q. My injured employee is ready to return to work. What kind of work may I offer her?

A. The job must meet the work restrictions in the doctor’s report. The offer could involve:

  • Regular work: Your employee’s old job, for a period of at least 12 months, paying the same wages and benefits as paid at the time of an injury and located within a reasonable commuting distance of where your employee lived at the time of the injury
  • Modified work: Your employee’s old job, with some changes that allows her do to it. If your employee’s doctor says she will not be able to return to the job she had at the time of injury, you are encouraged to offer her modified work instead of supplemental job displacement benefits (SJDB). The alternative work must meet your employee’s work restrictions, last at least 12 months, pay at least 85 percent of the wages and benefits your employee was paid at the time she was injured and be within a reasonable commuting distance of where your employee lived at the time of injury
  • Alternative work: A new job at your business. If your employee’s doctor says she will not be able to return to the job she had at the time of injury, you are encouraged to offer your employee alternative work instead of SJDB. The alternative work must meet your employee’s work restrictions, last at least 12 months, pay at least 85 percent of the wages and benefits your employee was paid at the time she was injured, and be within a reasonable commuting distance of where your employee lived at the time of injury.

If you offer your employee modified or alternative work:

  • Your employee may have only 30 days to accept the offer. If your employee doesn’t respond within 30 days, you may withdraw the offer

If your employee fails to respond to the offer of modified or alternative work within 30 days or rejects the job offer, your employee will probably not be entitled to supplemental job displacement benefits.

About medical care:

Q. What are medical provider networks?

A. A medical provider network (MPN) is a group of health care providers set up by your insurer (or you if you are a self-insured employer) and approved by DWC’s administrative director to treat workers injured on the job. Each MPN includes a mix of doctors specializing in work-related injuries and doctors with expertise in general areas of medicine. If your employees are covered by an MPN, their workers’ compensation medical needs will be taken care of by doctors in the network unless they were eligible to pre-designate their personal doctor and did so before their injury happened.

Q. What is a health care organization?

A. A health care organization (HCO) is an organization certified by the DWC to provide managed medical care to injured workers.

Q. What does predesignating a personal doctor involve?

A. This is a process your employees can use to tell you they want their personal physician to treat them for a work injury. Employees can pre-designate their personal doctor of medicine (M.D.) or doctor of osteopathy (D.O.) only if the following conditions are met:

1. The employee gives you a written notice predesignating the employee’s personal physician or medical group prior to the date of injury for which treatment is sought and the notice includes the physician’s name and business address;

2. The employee has healthcare coverage for non-occupational injuries or illnesses on the date of injury in a plan, policy or fund; and

3. The employee’s personal physician or medical group agrees to be predesignated prior to the dates of injury.

The DWC has a form for predesignating a personal physician on the forms page of its website.

Q. My employee would like to be treated by his or her personal chiropractor or acupuncturist. How does that work?

A. If you or your insurer does not have a MPN, the employee may be able to change his or her treating physician to their personal chiropractor or acupuncturist following a work-related injury or illness. In order to be eligible to make this change, the employee must give you the name and business address of a personal chiropractor or acupuncturist in writing prior to the injury or illness, using a form called the notice of personal chiropractor or personal acupuncturist.

Q. This is a family business and I’d like to pay the doctor cash. Is that OK?

A. No. It is illegal for an employer to pay medical bills directly. You must file a claim form (DWC form 1) with your claims administrator for all injuries that require more than first aid.

About reporting fraud:

Q. What can I do if I think an employee’s workers’ compensation claim is not valid?

A. You should report that opinion to your workers’ comp claims administrator. Tell them all the facts you know, any witnesses you may be aware of, and the people they should talk to. Follow up any phone or verbal report with a letter.

Q. I received a notice of hearing on a claim for a person I never heard of and didn’t hire. What should I do?

A. Inform your claims administrator and follow up with a letter.

Q. Isn’t workers’ comp fraud a crime? Who investigates these cases?

A. Yes, workers’ compensation fraud is a crime and it can come in many forms: a worker saying they were injured on the job when their injury really occurred while skiing; an employer saying their employees work at desk jobs when they’re really construction laborers; a medical provider billing for six treatments on an injured worker when they only provided two, etc. These are just a few examples of fraud in the workers’ comp system. Fraud is a serious problem and should be reported to the California Department of Insurance (CDI) for investigation. The CDI has more information regarding fraud at its website. The CDI works closely with other agencies to investigate possible fraud cases and also works with local district attorneys’ offices to prosecute those caught violating the law.

About being illegally uninsured:

Q. What happens if I’m uninsured and an employee is injured?

A. Failing to have workers’ compensation coverage is a criminal offense. Section 3700.5 of the California Labor Code makes it a misdemeanor punishable by either a fine of up to $10,000 or imprisonment in the county jail for up to one year, or both. Additionally, the state issues penalties of up to $100,000 against illegally uninsured employers.

If an employee gets hurt or sick because of work and you are not insured, you are responsible for paying all bills related to the injury or illness. Contact the information and assistance officer at your local DWC office for further information. You should be aware that workers’ compensation benefits are only the exclusive remedy for injuries suffered on the job when you are properly insured. If you are illegally uninsured and an employee gets sick or hurt because of work, that employee can file a civil action against you in addition to filing a workers’ compensation claim.

If you fail to pay required benefits you may also be contacted by the Uninsured Employers’ Benefit Trust Fund.

Q. What is the Uninsured Employers’ Benefit Trust Fund?

A. The Uninsured Employer’s Benefit Trust Fund (UEBTF) is a special unit within the Division of Workers’ Compensation that may pay benefits to injured workers who get hurt or ill while working for an illegally uninsured employer. The UEBTF pursues reimbursement of expenditures from the responsible employer through all available avenues, including filing liens against their property.

Q. Can I be fined for not carrying workers’ compensation insurance?

A. Yes, you can be fined and more. If the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement (state labor commissioner) determines an employer is operating without workers’ compensation coverage, a stop order will be issued. This order prohibits the use of employee labor until coverage is obtained, and failure to observe it is a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment in the county jail for up to 60 days, or by a fine of up to $10,000, or both. The Division of Labor Standards Enforcement will also assess a penalty of $1,000 per employee on the payroll at the time the stop order is issued and served, up to $100,000 (Labor Code section 3722(a)).

Additionally, if an injured worker files a workers’ compensation claim that goes before the Workers’ Compensation Appeals Board and a judge finds the employer had not secured insurance as required by law, when the dispute is resolved the uninsured employer may be assessed a penalty of $10,000 per employee on the payroll at the time of injury if the worker’s case was found to be compensable, or $2,000 per employee on the payroll at the time of injury if the worker’s case was non-compensable, up to a maximum of $100,000 [Labor Code section 3722(b)].

Finally, as noted in answer to a previous question, failure to secure workers’ compensation insurance is a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment in the county jail for up to one year, or by a fine of up to ten thousand dollars ($10,000) or by both that imprisonment and fine. (Labor Code Section 3700.5)

Q. How do I get proof of coverage?

A. Your ArcLight Agent will always make sure that you have the most up to date insurance documents.